Last Updated on
Many of us unfortunates are familiar with that breath taking clutch of pain that grabs out of the blue. And that pain can last for days, weeks or months…. How to relieve lower back pain?
Many people suffering from everyday life affecting lower back pain ask that question. And, while there is no quick solution or magic wand, there are options. You may need to try a few avenues before landing on one that works best for your situation.
From the best lumbar braces to over the counter medicines to simple at home treatments, there are plenty of options available no matter what your age, gender or level of pain to get you started.
Look At The Basics First…
The first thing to consider is why you are suffering from back pain. Do you practice good posture? Do you stretch in the morning, and let your muscles rest at night? If not, these are simple things that you can start doing right now to alleviate your lower back pain.
Some Quick Link Resources…
Also before I go any further, here are some quick links for solutions you might like…
- TENS Units provide fast working, virtually instant pain relief results for many people. These portable, hand held units are easy to use and all of them give you multiple options on levels of intensity and massage choices. We take a thorough look at the 10 most popular TENS machines for home use today.
- Now, if the idea of a TENS machine doesn’t appeal, the simple act of stretching your cramped back the other way over a spine stretcher is super relaxing to tight muscles. Our backs are so used to living in one position- often strained- that by allowing the spine, muscles, shoulders to fully relax by relaxing back over a compressive support has been shown to work. Here are 5 Spine Stretchers your back will say thank you for!
- Lower back braces have long proven their worth time and time again. I probably don’t need to tell you why they work so well, everyone knows anyway! Here are a selection of 7 Adjustable Back Braces which are unisex. Some include the healing power of magnets.
- Another solution and not so well know are inversion chairs. yes, you heard me… These are a safe way to harness the power of gravity in reverse to stimulate the bodies innate healing powers. By taking pressure off the spine and muscles, your body can heal faster. They are amazingly good for reducing stress while you hang upside down, which of course has multiple flow on benefits. Here are the 4 most popular inversion chairs
1) Sit, Stand, Work In The Best Position For Your Body….
There are proper ways of standing, sitting and even sleeping that can all help keep your muscles strong and healthy. When you stand or sit up straight, your spine is able to support your body without struggle.
However, when you slouch, your muscles have to work extra hard to support your body. This puts too much strain on your muscles and ligaments, which leads to back pain.
Although good posture may feel awkward at first, your body will soon get used to the position and you’ll notice that your back pain slowly dissipates as you work out how to relieve lower back pain.
Here’s a Cool Infographic On Understanding Back Pain
2) Exercises And Options On How To Relieve Lower Back Pain…
Yoga is a very gentle exercise to help release painful muscles and to help gently strengthen weakened back and core muscles. There are sets of exercises you can do at home, or you can join a class with a qualified instructor who can tailor a specific set of yoga poses for your condition…
When standing, make sure your shoulders are back but relaxed, and your spine is straight. When sitting, make sure of these same things. Keep your head straight, not pointed forward or backward.
3) How To Relieve Lower Back Pain When Sleeping….
When sleeping, make sure you have a good pillow that will support your head. Try not to fall asleep on your stomach or with your legs curled up to your chest; both of these positions can put unnecessary strain on the muscles in your back. When you stand up in the morning, try to use your leg muscles to get out of bed instead of your back muscles.
Sleeping on a memory foam pad or mattress offers a luxurious degree of comfort and support as the memory foam gently molds to the shape of your body. Painful pressure points are reduced and they fully support your body weight. You can read about the multiple benefits of sleeping on a memory foam pad here.
If you have worked out hard in a specific activity that caused you back pain, it’s important to rest for at least a day and alternate between heat packs and ice packs. A day of rest gives your cells and tissues adequate amount of time to repair themselves, but resting for more than a couple of days can start to weaken your muscles. Here is a good quality hot and cold pack for general use.
5) To Rest Or Not To Rest?
When you are suffering from back pain, it can seem very comforting to lie in bed and rest. Unfortunately, doing this is only making your muscles weaker. Although it may hurt, it’s important to continue exercising and moving your muscles. You shouldn’t go out and start lifting heavy objects all day, but it is important to let your muscles continue to strengthen. Start by lightly exercising (which could be a simple afternoon walk) at least an hour a day, and then work up from there.
6) How To Relieve Lower Back Pain With OTC MedicationsIf you simply can’t stand the pain, there are a handful of over the counter medications such as very popular linament Penetrex that you can purchase to ease back pain. Many of these medications are anti-inflammatory, and inflammation is a common cause of ongoing back pain.
Penetrex has a long history of providing lasting pain relief from inflammation related conditions. If you are suffering from any of these painful conditions:
- Back Pain
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Tennis Elbow
- Neck Pain
- Golfer’s Elbow
- Hip Pain
- Plantar Fasciitis and more
You may find this linament very helpful. You safely use it along with braces, splints, gloves, ultrasound treatment, physical therapy or massage without side effects.
Some OTC Medications Block Pain Signals
Other types of medications inhibit pain signals from reaching the brain. It’s important to read about each possible medication before trying, since every medication has its positives and negatives. It’s important to be educated about possible side effects or negative drug interactions.
7) How To Relieve Lower Back Pain With Posture And Lumbar Braces For SupportYou may also be interested in back braces for men and women or a back support belt for lower back pain. A back support brace can help take some of the strain off of your muscles during your daily activities, and are available in small, discreet varieties that you can wear under your clothing.
Adjustability Is Crucial With Any Brace
Most offer adjustable straps, so you can alter it to fit your waist as well as alter the amount of support it provides. If you choose to use a back brace, make sure that you only use it when you need to. If your muscles depend too heavily on the back brace for support, this can also weaken them in the long run.
Depending on your level of pain, you can use either one or a combination of these remedies. Sometimes a combination of simple stretches, over the counter medication and the use of a back brace can be all you need to alleviate the pain you feel.
Final Thoughts On How To Relive Back Pain…
If you try all of these techniques on how to relive back pain and nothing seems to be working, a visit to the chiropractor may give you a better look into your own unique situation. If you are wondering how to relieve lower back pain properly, it’s important to consult a professional; every situation is different, and they will be able to point you in the correct direction.